Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Inspiration: Kamasan Paintings


We know that Bali has well known for its art and culture. Born and raised in Bali make me feel so lucky to learn at least few tradional dances and other arts. In this modern era, young Balinese begin to leave their precious traditions. Well, that's what I feel and see right now. Despite of that phenomenon, my family still keep the traditions. I don't really like to dance, but my parents always force me to practice. Maybe they see my talent, but my passion is drawing. So, I stick with that.


Okay, in this post I don't talk about my passion or the phenomenon that happened in Bali. This time I want to share something beautiful and artsy. My father loves Balinese traditional paintings, especially Kamasan paintings. There are five paintings in my house and they are inspiring me to design something. Let me tell you what Kamasan Paintings in a short way. 

Kamasan, a village which is located in Klungkung (East Bali) has well known for its Balinese classical paintings since 1920. The two-dimentional paintings mostly tell us about Hindu stories like Ramayana and Mahabharata, but now we can find some paintings tell us a story about tradional daily life of Balinese. The paintings tradionally drawn on cloth or bark paper (or known as Ulantaga paper) and the coloring use natural dyes such as ochre, blue, red, white, and black. There are rules that have to follow by the painter to make the ornaments, because the paintings mostly produced for religious articles and temple hangings (wikipedia.com). 

The ornaments of Kamasan Paintings attracted my attention. I can stare a painting for minutes and amazed by its beauty. Inspired by the ornaments of Kamasan Paintings, I've tried to design few dresses with a little touch of Kamasan ornaments. I colored them up with natural colors like the paintings. Let's take a look.



why this one looks so weird and freaky? :(


My favorite. It represented almost of the Kamasan ornaments.

So, what do you think about my designs? Is it Yay or Nay? Let me know :)

If you plan to go to Bali or if you stay in Bali but never heard or known about Kamasan, you have to visit Kertha Gosa, Klungkung. It has a pavilion painted by Kamasan style and tell us a story about Bhima Swarga around the ceiling. It's more like a story about the Balinese journey of the soul. Very reccomended place!

Thank you for reading. 
See you on the next post. 
Bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing is the best way to cherish what we have...